Mock Trial Competition (Grades 3-6)
Every year, the New Jersey State Bar Foundation invites elementary school students and their teachers to participate in our Law Fair Competition by submitting original mock trial cases. There is no entry fee. The purpose is to promote understanding of the law and our justice system, and to educate students about their rights and responsibilities under the law.
Law Fair helps to fulfill civics education requirements, such as New Jersey Learning Standard 6.3.8 Civics PR.5, engagement in simulated democratic processes which includes judicial proceedings.
Congratulations 2023 Winners
Click HERE to read and download the list of winners. The winning cases, selected from 69 entries, dealt with negligence, theft, perjury, child custody, and Fentanyl poisoning. Congratulations to the winners and to all who participated!
- Law Fair Civics Curriculum Guide: download here. This guide was prepared by past winning teachers.
- Speakers’ PowerPoint from our October 28th Law Fair/Law Adventure workshop: view and download here.
- Mini-Court Teacher’s Guide (background information, glossary of legal terms and word searches). Download here.
- Additional Mock Trial & Civics Content, including quizzes: click here.
- Winning cases from past Law Fair Competitions can be viewed and downloaded below.
Please contact Sheila Boro, Director of Mock Trial Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is a mock trial anyway? Watch this brief video to learn about the elements of a mock trial from opening statements to direct and cross-examination to closing arguments.