Mock Trial Competition for Grades 3 through 6
Every year, the New Jersey State Bar Foundation invites elementary school students and their teachers to participate in our Law Fair Competition by submitting original mock trial cases. There is no entry fee. The purpose is to promote understanding of the law and our justice system, and to educate students about their rights and responsibilities under the law.
Law Fair helps to fulfill civics education requirements, such as New Jersey Learning Standard 6.3.8 Civics PR.5, engagement in simulated democratic processes which includes judicial proceedings.
- Download the Law Fair 2022-2023 Competition Rules Booklet here.
- Entry Deadline: January 31, 2023.
- Submit your case here. (Remember to review the rules booklet carefully before submitting.)
- Competition Overview Flyer (share with your colleagues) view and download here.
Law Fair: You be the Jury (May 15th – 18th) – In-person at the NJ Law Center
Experience what it’s like to serve as jurors in person with your students at the New Jersey Law Center! Hear cases performed by winners of this year’s Law Fair competition. After hearing the cases, you and your students will deliberate and render verdicts.
- When: May 15 – May 18 (morning and afternoon sessions available – see the registration link for dates and times)
- Where: In-person at the New Jersey Law Center, One Constitution Square, New Brunswick, NJ
- Who can attend: 3rd – 6th Grade students and their teachers (regardless of whether you entered the competition or not)
- Free. There is no charge to attend.
- Space is limited. Register by May 5.
- Register to attend here. Spots will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
- Law Fair Civics Curriculum Guide: download here. This guide was prepared by past winning teachers.
- Speakers’ PowerPoint from our October 28th Law Fair/Law Adventure workshop: view and download here.
- Mini-Court Teacher’s Guide (background information, glossary of legal terms and word searches). Download here.
- Additional Mock Trial & Civics Content, including quizzes: click here.
- Winning cases from past Law Fair Competitions can be viewed and downloaded below.
Please contact Sheila Boro, Director of Mock Trial Programs at [email protected].
What is a mock trial anyway? Watch this brief video to learn about the elements of a mock trial from opening statements to direct and cross-examination to closing arguments.