Law School Scholarship Program
For more than 30 years, the New Jersey State Bar Foundation has been awarding scholarships to worthy students entering their second or third year of law school. Students enrolled at a New Jersey law school are encouraged to apply for one of the up to thirteen scholarships that are awarded annually. In addition, as the result of a generous bequest from a long-time supporter of the Foundation, New Jersey residents from Columbia Law School may also apply for the Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarships.
The criteria for the selection of all scholarship recipients include academic excellence (grade-point average and class standing), participation in extracurricular activities, financial need and community service. In addition, six of the scholarships have further criteria.
- The Matthew E. Beck Esq. Criminal Law Scholarship is given to a student attending Rutgers Law School-Newark and has a personal interest in pursuing a career in criminal law.
- The Labor Law Scholarshipis earmarked for a student wishing to enter the field of labor law or who has already shown academic achievement in the area of labor law.
- The Sonia Morgan Scholarshipis awarded to a female student.
- The Abram D. and Maxine H. Londa Scholarshipwas awarded for the first time in 1996-97 and gives preference to a student from Union County.
- The Scarinci Hollenbeck Scholarship is open to a student who demonstrates a commitment to the advancement of LGBT issues. Applicants need not be a member of the LGBT community.
- The Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarships are awarded to female New Jersey resident students attending one of New Jersey’s three law schools or Columbia Law School.
Click here for a list of the 2022 recipients.
Here’s what three of our 2022 scholarship recipients had to say:
“Thank you so much for selecting me for this generous scholarship. I appreciate the NJSBF’s confidence in me and am grateful for the opportunity to represent NJSBF in this capacity.”
“It is truly such an honor to be chosen for the Justice Garibaldi Scholarship! I look forward to getting involved with NJSBA.”
“Thank you so much. I am immensely grateful for the support of the NJSBF through my last year of law school. This makes a tremendous difference for my education. I look forward to the day I can give back to law students!”
For a closer look at our scholarship program watch this short video.