Law School Scholarship Program
For 30 years, the New Jersey State Bar Foundation has been awarding scholarships to worthy students entering their second or third year of law school. Students enrolled at a New Jersey law school are encouraged to apply for one of the up to thirteen scholarships that are awarded annually. In addition, as the result of a generous bequest from a long-time supporter of the Foundation, New Jersey residents from Columbia Law School may also apply for the Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarships.
The criteria for the selection of all scholarship recipients include academic excellence (grade-point average and class standing), participation in extracurricular activities, financial need and community service. In addition, six of the scholarships have further criteria.
- The Matthew E. Beck Esq. Criminal Law Scholarship is given to a student attending Rutgers Law School-Newark and has a personal interest in pursuing a career in criminal law.
- The Labor Law Scholarshipis earmarked for a student wishing to enter the field of labor law or who has already shown academic achievement in the area of labor law.
- The Sonia Morgan Scholarshipis awarded to a female student.
- The Abram D. and Maxine H. Londa Scholarshipwas awarded for the first time in 1996-97 and gives preference to a student from Union County.
- The Scarinci Hollenbeck Scholarship is open to a student who demonstrates a commitment to the advancement of LGBT issues. Applicants need not be a member of the LGBT community.
- The Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarships are awarded to female New Jersey resident students attending one of New Jersey’s three law schools or Columbia Law School.
NOTE: The New Jersey State Bar Foundation’s 2020 scholarship application process is now open! 1L and 2L students enrolled at an accredited law school in New Jersey are encouraged to apply, along with female students at Columbia Law School who are interested in a Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarship.
Deadline for applications is June 26, 2020. Please note that applications must be processed through the law school’s Financial Aid Office. DO NOT send them directly to the Foundation. For an application, click HERE. Questions? Contact Mary Jean Barnes, Director of Administration and Grant Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here’s what two of our 2019 scholarship recipients had to say:
“Thank you so much for this thrilling news! I’m incredibly honored to receive this scholarship. It will go a long way in defraying the cost of law school. I am a non-traditional student, so I own a home and have a 7-year-old daughter. It is difficult to balance with school, so this will be a huge help. Thank you again so much!”
“Thank you for the wonderful news! I am truly grateful for this award and I will continue to make the NJ State Bar Foundation proud based on my efforts. Thanks again for everything and I continue to fight for people’s individual rights, especially in the workplace.”
For a closer look at our scholarship program watch this short video.