Law School Scholarship Program
For more than 30 years, the New Jersey State Bar Foundation has been awarding scholarships to worthy students entering their second or third year of law school. Students enrolled at a New Jersey law school are encouraged to apply for one of the up to thirteen scholarships that are awarded annually. In addition, as the result of a generous bequest from a long-time supporter of the Foundation, New Jersey residents from Columbia Law School may also apply for the Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarships.
The criteria for the selection of all scholarship recipients include academic excellence (grade-point average and class standing), participation in extracurricular activities, financial need and community service. In addition, six of the scholarships have further criteria.
- The Matthew E. Beck Esq. Criminal Law Scholarship is given to a student attending Rutgers Law School-Newark and has a personal interest in pursuing a career in criminal law.
- The Labor Law Scholarshipis earmarked for a student wishing to enter the field of labor law or who has already shown academic achievement in the area of labor law.
- The Sonia Morgan Scholarshipis awarded to a female student.
- The Abram D. and Maxine H. Londa Scholarshipwas awarded for the first time in 1996-97 and gives preference to a student from Union County.
- The Scarinci Hollenbeck Scholarship is open to a student who demonstrates a commitment to the advancement of LGBT issues. Applicants need not be a member of the LGBT community.
- The Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarships are awarded to female New Jersey resident students attending one of New Jersey’s three law schools or Columbia Law School.
NOTE: The New Jersey State Bar Foundation’s 2021 scholarship application process is now open! 1L and 2L students enrolled at an accredited law school in New Jersey are encouraged to apply, along with female students at Columbia Law School who are interested in a Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarship.
Here’s what two of our 2020 scholarship recipients had to say:
“I am so incredibly humbled and honored to receive this amazing scholarship award. I cannot thank the NJ State Bar Foundation enough. This was such brilliant news to receive on my first day of classes today and I am speechless. I would like to thank the NJ State Bar Foundation for this scholarship. This is such an incredible blessing!”
“I am honored to be a recipient of the Labor Law Scholarship. After my scheduled graduation in May of 2022, I plan to pursue a career as an employment attorney. My educational pursuits would not have been possible without the New Jersey State Bar Foundation’s donation. I will continue to make the Foundation proud by always striving for my academic and professional best. Thank you for enabling me to reach my fullest potential.”
For a closer look at our scholarship program watch this short video.