Law School Scholarship Program
For more than 30 years, the New Jersey State Bar Foundation has been awarding scholarships to worthy students entering their second or third year of law school. Students enrolled at a New Jersey law school are encouraged to apply for one of the up to thirteen scholarships that are awarded annually. In addition, as the result of a generous bequest from a long-time supporter of the Foundation, New Jersey residents from Columbia Law School may also apply for the Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarships.
The criteria for the selection of all scholarship recipients include academic excellence (grade-point average and class standing), participation in extracurricular activities, financial need and community service. In addition, six of the scholarships have further criteria.
- The Matthew E. Beck Esq. Criminal Law Scholarship is given to a student attending Rutgers Law School-Newark and has a personal interest in pursuing a career in criminal law.
- The Labor Law Scholarshipis earmarked for a student wishing to enter the field of labor law or who has already shown academic achievement in the area of labor law.
- The Sonia Morgan Scholarshipis awarded to a female student.
- The Abram D. and Maxine H. Londa Scholarshipwas awarded for the first time in 1996-97 and gives preference to a student from Union County.
- The Scarinci Hollenbeck Scholarship is open to a student who demonstrates a commitment to the advancement of LGBT issues. Applicants need not be a member of the LGBT community.
- The Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarships are awarded to female New Jersey resident students attending one of New Jersey’s three law schools or Columbia Law School.
Click here for a list of the 2021 recipients.
NOTE: The New Jersey State Bar Foundation’s 2021 scholarship application process is now closed. Check back in Spring 2022 for more information on the 2022 application.
Here’s what two of our 2021 scholarship recipients had to say:
“Thank you so much to the New Jersey State Bar Foundation for awarding [me] the Justice Marie L. Garibaldi Scholarship! Justice Garibaldi led a life of service for her community, and I hope to continue work that honors her legacy. I am so thankful to the NJSBF for helping fund my legal education and am simply honored to receive this scholarship.”
“Thank you to the New Jersey State Bar Foundation for selecting me for a generous scholarship award. It is a great feeling to be supported by other members of this profession. I am immensely grateful to the Foundation for organizing scholarships that help me and my peers as we finish our legal education. It truly is an honor, and I look forward to the day that I can give back to law students, and show the same generosity that was given to me.”
For a closer look at our scholarship program watch this short video.